(Saturday) 9:00 am - 4:00 pm PT
East Los Angeles College
1301 Avenida Cesar Chavez, Monterey Park CA, 91754
Welcome Fair for Unaccompanied Children and their Families Saturday, September 25, 2021 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Location: East Los Angeles College
Welcome Fair for Unaccompanied Children and their Families
Saturday, September 25, 2021
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Location: East Los Angeles College
1301 Avenida Cesar Chavez, Monterey Park, CA 91754
About the Welcome Fair
The Welcome Fair is a free, holistic community event for unaccompanied children and their families. The Welcome Fair aims to bring together community agencies during a one-day event to give out vital information and resources, including:
- Immigration legal orientation:
- Sessions offered at 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. (pre-registration strongly encouraged)
- Individual legal consultation (limited capacity)
- Education: school enrollment support and academic enrichment programs
- Employment and career guidance
- Health and Wellness, including information about accessing Medi-Cal and My Health L.A.
- COVID-19 vaccinations and testing will be provided onsite
- Nutrition and food resources
- Arts, cultural appreciation and recreational activities will take place throughout the day!
Children and families that wish to attend the Welcome Fair are strongly encouraged to pre-register by texting or leaving a message at: 213-458-5195, or sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Pre-registered individuals will receive priority for legal orientation sessions and individual consultation. Walk-ins are also welcome.
The following organizations will be participating:
- Office of First District Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda Solis (co-host)
- Los Angeles County Office of Immigrant Affairs (co-host)
- Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project (co-host)
- East Los Angeles College (co-host)
- Mayor Garcetti’s Office of Immigrant Affairs (co-host)
- Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice / CLUE (co-host)
- Los Angeles County Office of Education / LACOE (co-host)
- ELAC Dream Resource Center
- LAUSD’s School Enrollment Placement and Assessment (SEPA) Center
- Math on the Border (activities/puzzles/games)
- Johns Well Child and Family Center
- La Linterna @ Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles
- Clínica Romero
- Amanecer Community Counseling
- USC Telehealth
- International Institute of Los Angeles
- The Echo Park Refugee Welcoming Center
- Homies Unidos – Homies Unidos Youth Leadership Panel
- Opportunities For Youth
- San Fernando Valley Refugee Children Center
If your organization is interested in participating in the Welcome Fair, please send an email to: email@example.com and complete this form. (Booth space is limited so we may not be able to accommodate all requests to participate)
In order to protect the safety and privacy of the children, the co-hosts will not be authorizing video recordings or photographs at the Welcome Fair. Media outlets interested in alternative availability can contact Department of Consumer & Business Affairs communications director Jethro Rothe-Kushel: JRothe-Kushel@dcba.lacounty.gov
We will be taking measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We will be taking temperature at entrance, practicing social distancing and sanitizing stations will be available. We will also be offering free COVID-19 testing and vaccination.
How to get here
East Los Angeles College is conveniently located 8 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in the suburb of Monterey Park.
Parking will be free in Parking Structure 3 on the day of the fair.
East LA College is served by Metro bus lines 31, 68, 260, 762 and 770.
From the Pomona (60) Freeway:
Exit Atlantic Boulevard, head north two blocks on Atlantic. Turn left onto Avenida Cesar Chavez. The college is one block down on the right hand side.
From the San Bernardino (10) Freeway:
Exit Atlantic Boulevard South. Travel approximately three miles south on Atlantic. Turn right onto Avenida Cesar Chavez. The college is one block down on the right hand side.
From the Long Beach (710) Freeway:
Transfer to the Pomona (60) East. Exit Atlantic Boulevard, heading north. Turn left onto Avenida Cesar Chavez. The college is one block down on the right hand side.
From the Santa Ana (5) Freeway:
Transfer to the Pasadena (710) Freeway north, then transfer to the Pomona (60) east. Exit Atlantic and follow the directions above.
From the Century (105) Freeway:
Transfer to the Long Beach (710) Freeway north, then transfer to the Pomona (60) east. Exit Atlantic and follow the directions above.